20 Apr 2008

Artisan of the Week, Jodie of Meringue

This week I can finally publish this article from Jodie of Meringue. I've had this interview ready for some time, but was sadly unable to publish due to poor Jodie being unwell. I'm glad to say that Jodie is back making and selling her beautiful bags. In her time out to recover, she was much missed. Welcome back Jodie! I'll let her explain in her own words all about her work.

1. Could you please introduce us to who you are and what you do?
I'm Jodie and most people refer to me as The Bag lady, which is pretty accurate! I design and make handbags for my label, Meringue.

2. What led you to take up your craft?
I was working with ceramics but the overheads were unbelievable and I found my disposable income shrinking by the week. I realised I couldn't afford to buy all the little luxuries I had been able to in the past, so one day, I pulled apart an old handbag of mine to see how it was made. Then, with the help of my sister, I learnt how to sew.

3. Which part of your work do you most enjoy?
I love the last part of making the bag, when I put the pleat in. I love seeing the bag finished, the way the pattern sits and how it has all come together. I also really love buying the fabrics, rummaging through piles of rolls at the fabric store, discovering new prints is pretty cool.

4. Which part do you find hardest?
The photography for my listings. In many cases, it can take as long to take and adjust photos for one bag as it does to make that actual bag. I find the photography part really frustrating but it is a necessary evil.

5. Where do you hope to be in 1 years time?
My goal is to have more US stockists and to have released my other two lines, as well as new Meringue designs that I have been working on. There will hopefully be a US trip in there as well.

6. What is the best advice you have ever been given?
Do your research. Back when I did my business course (certificate IV in Small Business Management), the trainer constantly impressed upon us the need to continually research your craft, promotional ideas and general business strategies. I have spent countless hours on the computer, looking for ways to do everything better. I ask questions, I talk to people. It has taught me a hell of a lot, more than I ever could have imagined.

7. Name other artisans sites/shops would you recommend are worth a visit?
I'm going to keep it all-Australian!
Simone Walsh for amazing jewellery. I own quite a few pieces.
Anna Laura does some great screen print work on her bags. And the coolest retro hand stitched badges
Pepperina Press, Helen has some great designs that I really love.

8. What is your favourite sandwich filling?
I like to keep it simple, plus I'm vegetarian, so.....avocado, tomato, lettuce, cheese and carrot on rye sour dough. But I also love a Vegemite sandwich!

Thank you for joining in with our blog Jodie. This talented lady's bags are sold in many stores in Australia and the USA and she also sells her goods online at DaWanda, Etsy, and Mintd, so go check out her shops. These perfectly formed little bags are flying off the shelves. Don't be the last to own one!

10 comments:

  1. Another great feature! Regarding Jodie's fondness for vegemite sandwiches all I can say is Eeeeeek! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to learn more about the lady in the curlers ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodie's Curlers are almost more famous that she is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bags! Thanks for sharing the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After spending days in my pyjamas, I finally managed to do my bit on the spider project.

    (it's about a sea faring spider)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love her work, great interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the feature!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice!thank you.
    https://taula.com/

    ReplyDelete

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP